an artists' view

an artists' view

Saturday 14 November 2015

leaves dipped in iron water

 The whole piece of silk



The Bundle; steaming
I dipped the leaves (fig leaves, and a plant I can't identify) into iron water for a couple of days, and left them there.
Wrapped them into a bundle of silk cloth; no mordant; an aluminium steamer. It's never cleaned in between dyepots, so has remnants of all sorts of plant dye in it.
I left it for a couple of days, after steaming it. Then unwrapped; and I think it's come out rather well! Am leaving it to settle for a bit; then I will iron it to fix it, which will flatten the fabric.
I'm rather happy with the results.

4 comments:

  1. Lovely, I have fig leaves, never thought of dyeing with them, I think I feel another bundle session coming on if there are any left on my very small tree.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm quite impressed with the results Debbie......Mine's a small tree in a pot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just re-reading this post, I must try dipping the leaves first, hadn't thought of that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I left them in the iron water for about 24 hours Debbie....tried it with leaves just dipped into the water, and it was pretty disappointing.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...