an artists' view

an artists' view

Sunday 14 April 2013

spring 'as sprung

The daffodils are finally out, hurray! A bit different from how they appeared a few weeks ago when we had the snow (see photo below). And the weather is getting steadily warmer, the days lengthening.
As a postscript, margaret thatcher has died. I feel in two minds about mentioning it. Partly I want to turn my back on her, and her noxious prime minister-ship which saw the gap between poor and better-off widen. 

I've been very interested to listen to people's responses. 
Looking on Billy Bragg's website; Chumbawamba's website; listening to Elvis Costello's song 'Tramp the Dirt Down' on Youtube;talking to people at work, my friends. Interestingly no-one I know has had a good word to say about her, or her political policies. Though there are different opinions as to how it might be appropriate to 'mark' her death. 
Well, I live in the North, don't I? Where the ramifications of her deeds still linger. 
And it's interesting that our current governments 'austerity' programme doesn't include not paying for her funeral.....us peasants will all be stumping up for that. 
We have local elections coming up shortly. I wonder if there will be any impact on the results, due to the government paying for her funeral? Don't we just live in interesting times!

Did you see what I did there? I used bad grammar/lower-case so as to not give importance to her name and job-title. Other names have been given due prominence. Well, as we chanted at Greenham, and throughout the bitter dispute of the Miners' Strike, I suppose it's easy to see 'Which Side Are You On?'

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jan, how lovely to find your blog. I've really enjoyed reading your posts, the printing, dying and music too!
    My own thoughts on the woman was shaped from a very early age. I grew up in the 80's on a council estate, with parents who suffered long periods of unemployment and financial hardship under her leadership. I personally find it difficult to come to terms with those who now glorify such inhumanity, callousness and coldness in a person. The lack of humanity in the woman should be debated not celebrated in a 10 million pound funeral paid for by the tax payer. Good riddance!
    I'm sorry if i have ranted too much? I look forward to reading more of your blog and posts in the future. Btw, do you have your own press for the collographs? They look great! Best wishes, Amanda :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...