an artists' view

an artists' view

Saturday 8 December 2012

'boro'; stitching and patching

Inspired by Saskia, Grace, and other women following Jude Hill's stitching web-classes, I've bought a man's shirt, and am in the process of using running stitch (sashiko stitches in Japan) to attach patches of cloth to it. This has the benefit of layering the cloth, to both strengthen it, and give it more insulating properties. I believe this is in the spirit of 'Boro'...if not exactly the technique!
'Boro' is another Japanese term, which refers to the mending, and re-using of cloth. It fits well into my ideas about re-cycling and mending.
This shirt is being made with the cold of winter in mind; to keep me warm. However, I'm a very slow hand stitcher, so it may very well be next winter, before I get the benefit from it! In the meantime, I can stitch away, with no pressure. It is a pick up, and put down project.

2 comments:

  1. love those stitches, what a great effect they have on that cloud fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks saskia. the 'cloud' fabric was dyed using Dylon. It was some excess dye left after I'd dyed a T-shirt for my brother.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...