an artists' view

an artists' view

Friday 16 November 2012

felt from the past

My mum was clearing out some junk (treasure?) recently, and found these. After checking that it wasn't Helen's, my grown-up niece, she asked me if the felt collages were mine.
Well....I have to say I don't remember them at all. But....I like the conceit that they're mine!
An example of my early years creativity, and enjoyment of making collages. And also, revealing my early affinity with felt and textiles....which lay dormant until the 21st century.
Of course, it's also, sociologically, a material example of the education of primary school children in the mid-twentieth century. Learning through play, and manipulation of materials. Development of hand-eye co-ordination, and motor skills. Funny how these things have to be described and de-constructed. Rather than enjoyed, and encouraged.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...