an artists' view

an artists' view

Sunday 12 August 2012

staffordshire hoard

Yesterday I went to Stoke, to visit the Museum and Art Gallery, where there is an exhibition of the Staffordshire Hoard that was discovered in 2009.
A metal detector, with man attached (!) found around 5kgs of gold, buried in a field in Staffordshire.
This was later declared 'treasure trove'; and is now being cleaned up and conserved by Birmingham University. A small selection of the Anglo-Saxon treasures are on display at Stoke.
This is a terrible photo of a replica of one of the pieces. Light levels are kept deliberately low; and the original pieces are extremely small, so I wouldn't have been able to photograph them to do them any justice. And I'm not sure I was even supposed to take photos (?) but I reckoned photographing the replica was safe enough!
You can find out more about it, here.

This photograph from the postcard I bought, shows the detail of the work. Stunning!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...