an artists' view

an artists' view

Saturday 5 May 2012

Malta - temples

As I was looking through my photos from Malta, to illustrate the post about Divine Women, I remembered this photograph I took at one of the Temples. There are lots of temples on Malta and Gozo, and I wasn't there long enough to see all that I wanted to. 
But what did strike me during one visit, was the way this stone had been cut; it's a doorway, or a window. 
An entranceway. 
A liminal site. 
And I immediately thought of Barbara Hepworth's carvings, with the characteristic 'holes' she carved.
I love all these connections and re-visitings. 
That carvings from Neolithic times resonate with sculptures created in the twentieth century, and with me, in the twenty-first century. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...