an artists' view

an artists' view

Monday 23 January 2012

Wiltshire; Avebury; 2011

When I went to Avebury last October, I took this photo of a couple of the stones. I had to take a photograph of the stone on the left; it just looked like the face of a sheep, seen from the side!
As I'm busy thinking and dreaming about felt (!) because of this course I'm doing, I thought this image fitted rather well here.


When I went to The Hepworth last week to hear Clare Woods 'In Conversation', I was interested to hear she was a big fan of Paul Nash, John Piper, Graham Sutherland, Barbara Hepworth. Though not surprised, as she had curated a mini-exhibition of a selection of their work in one of the rooms of The Hepworth at the entrance of her exhibition.
When I saw the exhibition, I was really pleased to see the work in that small room; I've had a particular interest in such artists since I was an art student back in the 1980's. There's something about their concern with landscape in the shadow of WW2; almost a sense of what might be lost. Clare Woods articulated that this fear may have a similar resonance at the moment, with the economic 'austerity' we face, and current ecological worries.....though to be fair, there have been ecological anxieties at least since the 1960's, that I'm aware of....and they probably go back further that that.
    

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...