an artists' view

an artists' view

Tuesday 17 January 2012

Starry Starry Night

 It's STARGAZING LIVE this week.
The BBC is encouraging people to watch the skies. I blame Brian Cox!
Though actually I need little encouragement to go outside and look at the stars. 
Jon and I went over to Carleton Observatory at Pontefract; where the members had set up a series of telescopes outside, to use in conjunction with the huge telescope up on the roof, which has limited access.
It was a cold clear night, and therefore freezing! But of course, perfect for looking at the skies. I saw Jupiter, with the coloured bands, and its' 4 moons; the Orion nebula, which is normally only perceptible as a fuzziness without the aid of a telescope; and Sirius, the dog star. Sirius was beautiful! Twinkling like white fire, with blazes of red and orange. A jewel in the black night. I also saw a stunning shooting star. 
I'm sure the more correct term is 'meteorite', but I prefer shooting star. This one fell quite slowly, leaving a trail of greeny-gold. I've never seen one quite like it. There was time to point it out to each other, and turn to see it, which is rarely the case. Usually there is a quick flash, and it's over.
A wonderful night. Hot chocolate when once home, to thaw me out!

For more info; bbc.co.uk/stargazing

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...