an artists' view

an artists' view

Friday 13 January 2012

Drawings and Designs

Looking back through a sketchbook I've had for about 6 years, I found this sketch; one done fairly recently, but I'd then forgotten all about it.
I love new sketchbooks; whenever I go anywhere that sells art materials, I have to go over to the sketchbook/paper section, and have a look at their stock. I'm a real bibliophile; love books in all their forms! I always want to start work in a new sketchbook; but the promise of its pages seems so very intimidating. Will the work be 'good enough' to fill these pages? The ever-present doubt of the artist...'will it be good enough'?????
This sketch was done with pencils; small marks; a tiny sketch, in an A5 book. I was trying out some ideas for working with textiles, and threads. And influenced by a Shell poster from the 1930's; 'Mousehole, Penzanze', by Anthony Stewart. He'd created a sea, from flat areas of pure tone, stripes of white, black, and blue. I was wondering how I might use that idea to create a textile piece. I'm wondering still!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...