an artists' view

an artists' view

Friday 30 July 2010

Barbara Hepworth 'Mother and Child'



This is a photograph of Barbara Hepworth's sculpture from 1934, entitled 'Mother and Child'. It was taken by fellow studio holder Julie Clarke.


It was installed in Westgate Studios for the last Artwalk, on Wednesday 28th July. We studio holders had the opportunity to go and draw the sculpture, before the Artwalk began at 5pm. The Project Space was empty apart from this single sculpture, and a member of staff from The Hepworth Gallery was on hand at all time, to look after it.



I was particularly intrigued by the reflections onto the acrylic case surrounding the sculpture. I asked Julie to take a photo, as I hadn't thought to take my camera with me. This was one of the results.



The sculpture also cast a reflection onto the inside of the case; it created a black silhouette, and this caught my attention. The sculpture is very rounded, and curvaceous; making it hard to draw. The reflection however, seemed much more angular, and blocky. I was reminded of the Aztec sculptures of goddesses giving birth, squatting on their haunches. Of course Hepworth studied ancient scuptures when she moved to study in London, so I wondered if the images were being called up in my memory, because I had read this about her, or if the reflection really was squarer?



That was the reason I asked Julie to take the photograph. What do you think?



3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The sculpture also cast a reflection onto the inside of the case.

    Offer Waterman & Co

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sophie; merry xmas. Yep; there were reflections, and reflections, and reflections. I hope you're well.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...